Christiane Maria Heideh Amanpour, better known as Christiane Amanpour, stands as one of the most respected voices in international journalism. Born in London, England in 1958, Amanpour’s journalistic inclinations led her to the University of Rhode Island, where she honed her skills and earned a BA.
Her association with CNN, where she hosts “Amanpour” on CNN International, has been a cornerstone of her career. She has been at the helm of this show since 2012, following her initial anchoring from 2009 to 2010. Alongside her work at CNN, Amanpour has expanded her journalistic footprint as the anchor of “Amanpour & Company” on PBS since 2018. Previous notable credits include anchoring ABC’s “This Week” from 2010 to 2011 and her impactful reporting for “60 Minutes” on CBS between 1996 and 2005.
On a more personal note, Amanpour and James Rubin walked down the aisle in 1998, sharing their lives until their separation in 2018. Their union blessed them with a child. As a journalist, Amanpour’s dedication and authenticity have made her a trusted name in households worldwide.
Christiane Amanpour: Quick Biography
- Born: January 12, 1958, in London, England, UK.
- Occupation: Journalist and television host.
- Early Life:
- Born to an Iranian father and a British mother, Amanpour was raised in Tehran, Iran, until the age of 11. The family returned to the UK during the Iranian Revolution in 1979.
- She attended the University of Rhode Island in the United States, graduating with a degree in journalism.
- Professional Career:
- CNN: Amanpour joined CNN in 1983 as an entry-level assistant on the international assignment desk in Atlanta. She quickly rose through the ranks and became a correspondent for the network in 1990.
- War Zones: Amanpour gained a reputation for her fearless coverage of war zones during the 1990s. She reported from the Gulf War, the Bosnian War, and other major conflict zones. Her frontline reports from Sarajevo during the Bosnian War garnered significant attention and accolades.
- Interviewer: Over the years, Amanpour has interviewed numerous world leaders, including Iranian presidents, British prime ministers, and American presidents.
- Amanpour on CNN: She has been the host of her flagship nightly interview program, “Amanpour,” which is CNN’s premier international affairs program.
- ABC: From 2010 to 2011, she served as the anchor of ABC News’s “This Week,” making her a significant presence in both international and U.S. news landscapes.
- Awards and Recognition:
- Amanpour has received numerous awards, including 11 News and Documentary Emmy Awards, four Peabody Awards, and the Courage in Journalism Award. She was also named a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2014.
- Personal Life:
- Christiane Amanpour was married to James Rubin, a former US Assistant Secretary of State and spokesman for the US State Department, from 1998 to 2018. They have a son together.
- Amanpour is known for her commitment to freedom of the press and has spoken out on behalf of journalists who are persecuted or imprisoned for their work.
Christiane Amanpour: Personal Life and Health Update
Christiane Amanpour and James Rubin were married for 20 years before they divorced in 2018. Together, they have a son. In June 2021, Amanpour publicly announced that she had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had undergone successful surgery. The specifics of her ongoing health or subsequent updates regarding her condition might not be covered here, as my last update was in September 2021. Her son is a significant part of her life, but details about him are kept relatively private. After her divorce from Rubin, there hasn’t been any widely reported information regarding a new partner for Amanpour.
Quick Facts About Christiane Amanpour
- Born in London in 1958 to an Iranian family
- Earned a BA from Kings College London and an MA from University of Rhode Island
- Began working for CNN in 1983 as an entry-level desk assistant
- Covered the Gulf War live from Baghdad in 1991
- Anchored CNN’s daily global affairs program Amanpour from 2009 to 2018
- Currently hosts Amanpour interview program on CNN International
The Academic Foundation of Christiane Amanpour
Christiane Amanpour is a proud alumna of Kings College London, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism in 1979. Her quest for knowledge took her next to the American University in Cairo, attaining a Master of Arts in Broadcast Journalism by 1981.
Kings College furnished Amanpour with linguistic prowess in French and Italian, enriching her understanding of European cultures—a cornerstone for her international reporting pursuits. Meanwhile, her postgraduate stint in Cairo sharpened her lens on Middle Eastern dynamics.
Christiane Amanpour: A Financial Synopsis
By 2022, reports have pegged Amanpour’s net worth at a commendable $12 million. This wealth reservoir springs mainly from her over 30-year tenure with CNN, one of the world’s journalism titans. Her annual paycheck from her CNN daily show segment is believed to hover above $2 million. Beyond CNN, her oratory skills fetch her revenue through various speaking engagements.
With her journalism journey far from the horizon, the trajectory of Amanpour’s wealth is poised upwards, bolstered by her unparalleled stature in international reporting.
A Glimpse into Amanpour’s Journalistic Odyssey
Serving as CNN’s flagship international correspondent, Amanpour’s portfolio brims with reportage from global crucibles over three decades:
- Direct broadcasts from Baghdad amid the 1991 Gulf War.
- A prized interview with the UK’s Prime Minister, Tony Blair, in 1997.
- Witnessing the throes of the Bosnian War in Sarajevo (1992-1996).
- Engaging Egypt’s Hosni Mubarak amidst the 2011 Arab Spring turbulence.
- Chronicling Saddam Hussein’s trial in Iraq, 2006.
- Grilling Pakistan’s Pervez Musharraf post the tragic demise of Benazir Bhutto in 2007.
- Steering CNN’s coverage during the tragic demise of Princess Diana in 1997.
A litany of global heavyweights, including Iran’s Mohammad Khatami and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Pakistan’s duo of Pervez Musharraf and Imran Khan, the iconic Nelson Mandela of South Africa, India’s Narendra Modi, and more, have been on the other side of Amanpour’s microphone. Her interviewing finesse, marked by incisive yet respectful queries, has earned her a revered spot among global news makers.
Christiane Amanpour’s Net Worth
Christiane Amanpour, the renowned British-Iranian journalist and television host, boasts a net worth of $18 million.
Follow Christiane Amanpour on Social Media
FAQs About Christiane Amanpour
Q: Where was Christiane Amanpour born?
A: Amanpour was born in London in 1958 to Iranian parents. She spent her childhood in Tehran and later moved back to England for her college education.
Q: What was Amanpour’s big break as a journalist?
A: Her live reporting from Baghdad during the 1991 Gulf War garnered significant attention and established her as one of CNN’s leading war correspondents.
Q: How many Emmys has Amanpour won?
A: Amanpour has been awarded 11 Emmy awards throughout her journalistic career, covering events from the Gulf War to the tragic demise of Princess Diana.
Q: Which controversial world leaders has Amanpour interviewed?
A: She has interviewed many notable and controversial figures, including Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran, Muammar Gaddafi of Libya, and Iraq’s Saddam Hussein during his trial.
Q: Is Amanpour married?
A: Yes, in 1998, she tied the knot with James Rubin, the former US Assistant Secretary of State. The couple has a son named Darius.
Q: Where did Amanpour pursue her college education?
A: Amanpour attended Kings College London for her Bachelor’s degree and later procured a Master’s degree from the University of Rhode Island.
Q: How can I stay updated with Amanpour on social media?
A: She is active on Twitter with the handle @camanpour and on Instagram as @camanpour.
Q: What is Christiane Amanpour’s current professional role?
A: Presently, she hosts the interview-based program “Amanpour” on CNN International and continues her journalistic endeavors by covering major global events for the network.